Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Dozens More

My partner and I celebrated our 12 year anniversary last week. Our lives have been too hectic lately with both of us working and taking classes and raising a son to have any quality time together. We try to squeeze a few hours together among the insanity of our schedule. It's never enough. We get a sitter for a few hours one night, and when we see each other again at the end of the next long day our first response is "I missed you."

Currently we overcome many obstacles to make life and love work for us - insane workloads, an ailing house, too little money, a beautiful energetic son. Over the last twelve years we've encountered more challenges than I care to remember - many more difficult than our current daily demands.

I'm amazed and thrilled at our endurance. It's good we're both stubborn and persistant and strong. Weaker folks might have given up years back. We're road weary most days, but the drive continues to be worth it.

When I'm tired and have little to offer, I look over to see her beautiful smile and the light in her eyes and I know it's all worth it and I just have to try harder. She deserves much more than I can give. I'm thankful she finds my meager attempts satisfying.

Our hum is just as present as it was a dozen years ago. Our older selves may have trouble hearing, but if we adjust the hearing aid, we find it's ever present.