Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mid-Fertility Crisis

As if I needed one more thing to freak out about, but here it is. I became fertile at age 12. Presumably I'll hit menopause around 50. So here I am at 32 in the middle of my fertile period hyperventilating over how my chaotic life and our impending cross-country trek to new jobs does or does not allow room for Mr. Man to have a sibling.

Things that Weigh Heavily:

  • Time: I still have a year of school left sucking up what little energy I have. At best, we could begin "the great adventure" in 2007.

  • Age: Mr. Man would be 6 and my wife and I would be 34/35.

  • Chaos: Life with the three of us is loud, crazy and we want to add a screaming wee one to that mix?

  • Money: Yikes - tuition and child care for 2?

  • Donor: As in doesn't return calls, unless you consider the 4am call from his new wife announcing the existence of their son an attempt to return my calls...

  • Mental Health: If you knew me when I was pregnant until he turned 1, you wouldn't ask.


What I know:

  • This doesn't really matter now, even if it does haunt me. My wife says Mr. Man came without planning and number two will come to us if he or she is meant to be.

  • I love my son and my wife. They are happiness.

No comments: