Monday, August 07, 2006

Fantasies

As mentioned yesterday, I'm quite happy with many, many aspects of my life. But along comes a day like today and I'm overwhelmed by the F&A about how little money we have to get essential and non-essential items. We've had tight times before, but since the move I feel deprived. I don't think that we've been in this position of having to forgo essential items like clothes, haircuts and food since Mr. Man was born.

This post is purely indulgent--a way to give life to the daydreams I harbor. Perhaps by voicing them, the universe will breathe life into them.

  • I have a really, really full fridge with tons of fresh fruit and vegetables (all organic). There are rarities like heirloom purple and green tomatoes, baby bok choy, endless avocados for homemade guacamole and fresh basil for pesto. Each day brings two new pints of local berries. The freezer is stocked full of yummy vegan protein sources - bacon, sausage patties, neatloaf and soy chorizo. There is a non-stop supply of soy yogurt, as we empty a large container every other day. Even though we don't need the sugar, we can make chocolate-peanut butter cream pie because we have all the ingredients. There are at least two kinds of Stumptown coffee beans waiting to be ground. Two bottles of wine are available for dinner guests and a six-pack of Oregon-brewed beer is chilled for dinner.

  • The sitter arrives at 10am after we've had a family brunch. The fridge is stocked with wholesome lunch and dinner options for Mr. Man and the sitter. My love and I catch the bus to the Hawthorne, Division and Belmont areas for a day of window shopping. We eat Thai or Indian for lunch (my choice) and head downtown for a stroll through the Chinese Garden. While downtown, we stop at Paddy's and have a few drinks--the really good whiskey, of course. We head to the Baghdad for a movie or catch a show. When we come home, Mr. Man is fast asleep and we crawl into bed to collapse after a very difficult day of nothing but fun.

  • I take off one morning and head to a funky salon to get a haircut. My split ends land on the floor with a thud. I trim off 3 inches of the length and the stylist uses the fun curly product to produce maximum body. On a whim, I add some stripes of blond color.

  • I am a bike commuter and I easily negotiate the transition from the sweaty commute into professional attire. I have a messenger bag for the few things needed for the day and other personal care items are stowed in my storage sacks on the back of my bike.

  • Alternative Outfitters just shipped my order for two pairs of shoes - one sexy pair of black heels for work and a light sandal option for jeans day. Deva has shipped two items of clothing for work - both are machine washable, professional and unique. I browsed at Nau's new shop in the Pearl and purchased two items of completely sustainable outdoor apparel.

  • My wife's multiple birthday gifts are wrapped in homemade wrapping paper and merely waiting for the day to come. All of my friends and family got a card and a homemade gift from me for their birthday.

  • Mr. Man has socks that fit him and he has shorts and a clean shirt (not a t-shirt) for school, even though we haven't done laundry in two days. His winter coat is hanging in the closet in anticipation of the cold season.

No comments: