Monday, January 16, 2006

Challenge

The checkbook draws nearer to bouncing with every passing day that student loans aren't disbursed, the house doesn't sell and the car isn't paid off. My challenge to myself this week is to make it to Friday (payday) without going out to dinner. In an effort to hold myself accountable, I am subjecting the public to my daily dinner menus. (Warning - I am no Jennifershmoo.)

Last night:
  • Southern fried tofu. Who said vegan food was healthy? This recipe is awesome and the batter is crunchy and satisfying.
  • Southern fried squash. Same recipe as above. In the vegan diner my wife and I fantasize about running, we agreed we would have a fried basket on the menu - fried tofu, zucchini, squash, whatever else is good fried.
  • Oven baked homemade french fries.
  • Frozen veggies. Sue me - at least they were organic.


Tonight:
  • Ope's veggie burgers. We hadn't tried this brand before. They're a bit pricier, but bigger and very yummy. I love all of Ope's products. It's the second best thing Kalamazoo has going for it after Bell's.
  • Macaroni and Cheeze. This is my second attempt at the famous comfort food and this one takes the cake. It was lighter and smoother. We drizzled extra sauce over our...um, frozen vegetables left over from last night.


In other fun news, the transit company has an identical opening for the position I was rejected for. I remain highly qualified (perhaps overqualified) and so I submitted my resume tonight.

Mr. Man has an awesome vocabulary. We knew he was smart and that we don't dumb him down by reading mindless crap to him. However, even I was surprised to hear him use the words "assure" and "research" correctly in context in the last two days. Not bad for a 4.75yo! My wife and I got a chuckle when he surprised his teaching assistant by using the word thwart in context. My wife used the word in context and Mr. Man inquired what it meant. He has trouble pronouncing the "th" sound, and thwart is just the word to challenge him! He thinks it's a fun word and uses it often.

2 comments:

Matt_Sweet said...

I was impressed that your son knew about Bio-diesel. That rocks!

Oh, and it's my experience that cauliflower and mushrooms are also very good when deep fried. As are, of course, onions.

GoGo said...

If you have ever eaten her food, you'd know she IS just like Jennifershmoo