Saturday, March 22, 2008

Experiments

Yesterday was Mr. Man's unbirthday. This is otherwise known as my ploy to get him out of bed for his last day of school before spring break. The old - "this is your last day of school as a 6yo" trick. He loves it when I cook puff pastry roll-ups for him (usually with almond butter and jam). But I used up the last slice of disgusting Tofutti cheeze slice (bought in a moment of delusion at the store) and stuffed them with with veggies and tofu. Yes, my son is the only kid on the planet who prefers his tofu plain - straight out of the package. I thought these little gems were awesome. They looked and smelled great. Of the three I sent in his lunch, two came back home. Bugger. I asked him what he thought of them and he said "no". End of review.



So this beautiful Saturday morning, I woke up and took breakfast orders from the family. Mr. Man ordered pizza. I had leftover dough that I had made last night, so I cooked up his favorite and supplemented with broccoli and a side of yogurt.

My wife suggested cinnamon rolls, so I used a ball of the pizza dough, rolled it out, put a bit of melted Earth Balance over the top and sprinkled on the cinnamon and sugar. I wanted mine longer rather than round and high so I rolled it diagonally and got sort of a crocodile head shape. It was amazingly tasty and so simple. Why should I ever go to the vegan bakery for a cinnamon roll again? Why yes, of course, I'd go on a Saturday morning when I'm too lazy to make my own. Until then, fresh baked cinnamon rolls at home are a great start to a Saturday morning when the sun shines.

No comments: